90th Anniversary Events
A partial list of upcoming events commemorating Pitt-Johnstown's 90 years (subject to change):
- September 9 – A Moxham Block Party at the Park Avenue Playground, connecting the university with its roots in the Moxham neighborhood in which it was once located. There will be games, food, and a Pitt-Johnstown Coding station for children and adults. Also, enjoy this opportunity to sample Mountain Cat Crunch ice cream! 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
- September 14 – A Veteran’s Health & Wellness Community Summit will be held in the new John P. Murtha Center for Public Service and National Competitiveness. This is a free community summit with a focus on issues that affect veterans and families, as well as the community, with a focus on suicide prevention. Guest speakers include Mrs. Joyce Murtha, State Rep. Bryan Barbin, Ronald Poropatich, MD, Col (ret) Executive Director of the Center for Military Medicine Research discussing ground-breaking advances in treatment of injured service members and Maj Gen. Thomas S. Jones, USMC (ret) Founder and Executive Director of Outdoor Odyssey and Semper Fi Odyssey. 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- September 22 – 90th Anniversary kickoff and memorial dedication ceremony at John P. Murtha Cancer Center (founding location of Pitt-Johnstown.) Pitt-Johnstown anniversary wall mural will be unveiled at the same location. 2:30 p.m.
Open House for the renovated Blackington Hall and unveiling of a 24-foot wall mural depicting the evolution of the college. 4 p.m.
- September 25 – The Nursing and Allied Health Celebration and Innovation Forum, featuring keynote speaker Lt. Gen. Patricia D. Horoho, commander of the U.S. Army’s Medical Command and 43rd Army Surgeon General. Ms. Horoho is the first nurse in the Department of Defense’s 239-year history to hold these posts. 4:45 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
- September 29-30 –Homecoming Weekend will include a lineup of Open University lectures, History of Campus presentation and a Dance of the Decades.
- October 25 – Groundbreaking for the Chemical Engineering Building and an open house of the recently renovated John. P. Murtha Engineering & Science Building on campus.
- October 28 – Guinness World Record-setting attempt at the custom-designed UPJ corn maze at Faranda Farms in Davidsville. Faculty, staff, students and alumni will attempt to set a record for the largest number of people simultaneously in a corn maze, cut with the Pitt-Johnstown Mountain Cat outline and 90th anniversary logo.
- November 6-11 – Veterans Week will include a trail run, our annual Great Americans Day event featuring Cynthia Izuno Macri, MD, CAPT MC USN (ret) who will discuss the life of Sen. Daniel Inouye, the internment of Japanese-Americans and the role and heroism of the Nisei Soldiers during WWII, a Memorial Wall Dedication, and a service at the Heroes Memorial on campus.
- November 27 – Our fourth annual Moxham Light-Up Night will take place at the Park Avenue Playground. The event is part of an effort to sustain and enhance the neighborhood that was home to the campus for many years through a positive community impact.